Frequently Asked Questions
What to know about my first lesson?
1) Choose the type of lesson you would like to take. We offer group lessons, private lessons, and dances. See Upcoming Classes and Events for details! Need help deciding? Call us or contact us for a quick live chat!
2) Click the link next to the event/class you want. You can register and pay right online! For private lessons, there is one additional step- call or contact us to schedule a time that works well for you!
3) We have two locations, group classes and dance parties will have the address on their event page. Private lesson location will depend on the time and date you schedule. Your instructor will let you know which of our locations your lesson will be held at the time of scheduling.
4) Scroll the FAQs below for suggestions on what to wear
5) When you arrive for your lesson, come into the lobby of the studio and take a seat, your instructor will come out to greet you when they are finished teaching their current lesson.
6) If you haven't already paid online, your instructor will take payment (card, check, cash). Taxes are already included and you do not need to tip. You have the option of having a reciept sent to your email address.
7)Your instructor will chat with you about what you want to learn and bring you into the ballroom-lesson
8) At the end of your lesson, you will have the opportunity to take a clip on your phone of what you learned!
Are private or group lessons best?
We recommend both for the quickest learning. Private lessons are helpful because can be customized to exactly what you want to learn, your level, and your availability. Group classes are great to work on muscle memory of the steps, connect socially, and stick to a pre-determined level and dance style . It is often helpful to start first with a private class or two before attending a group. Private lessons can be taken alone or include up to 8 people that you invite to split the cost. Group lessons will have 4-25 people and have a fixed fee per student and a set number of weeks.. If you want special choreography or song for a wedding or event, private lessons work best. Group lessons are typically a session of 5-8 lessons once a week for 55 minutes long. Private lessons can be purchased one at a time or in packages of any amount. Discounts for 4 or more lessons purchased at a time.
What do I wear to my lesson?
Most people like to wear comfortable business casual clothing or active wear to class. If you don't own ballroom dance shoes, wearing shoes that don't grip or mark the floor are best. For women, its best to have a comfortable flat or heel that will stay on your feet (no stilettos please). One of our locations does not allow shoes in the ballroom so socks or jazz/ballet shoes are best.
How do I pay for my lesson?
You can pay your instructor with cash, card, or check when you arrive for your first lesson. You can pay for each lesson individually or all at once (discount for paying in full). We also have an option for paying online to save time.
Do I need a partner?
Each class is different. Private lessons can be taken with or without a partner (your instructor will fill in if needed). See class description. Due to covid, many group classes are non-partnering classes where you will learn steps and styling alone that can later be used to dance with a partner. At this time, due to covid, all adult dance night out parties require a partner.
-Stay home if you have a fever or feel unwell, wash/sanitize hands when you arrive, keep space between you and other students if they do not belong to your household, sign covid waiver before your first class.
-Private lesson students, instructor will chat with you about what level of contact you are comfortable with and if you will wear masks.
-Class sizes will be limited.
-Covid details will be modified as the situation changes.
Do I need experience?
Unless the class description states otherwise, no experience is necessary. Students will be attending with different levels of experience. Each class will have something for everyone. Great tips for learning faster: bring your phone to take a clip of the skills taught so you can practice, if you are new pick one step to remember and practice it, combine group and private lessons for the fastest learning, don't compare-it keeps you from focusing on what you are learning and the fun of dance, have fun and don't take yourself too seriously!
Where is my class held?
Ballroom Dance Academy is a separate company that rents space from two local studios in Sioux Falls. See class description for location (location chosen based on studio availability and class needs). We can also bring lessons to your home or establishment.
What can I learn?
There are over 20+ partner dances to choose from. Your instructor can help you decide what style is best for you based on the kind of music, your personal taste, and the event. We also offer general social slow and fast dance for students who don't want to learn a specific ballroom dance.
Good things to know...
Ballroom dance- includes formal looking dances (waltz, foxtrot), swing dances, and latin dances.
Many ballroom dances have two versions to choose from- American and International. Ask your instructor which one is right for you.
People learn very differently (visual, audio, kinetic...). Your teacher will help adjust their teaching as they start to see your specific learning style.
Our learning environment is relaxed and fun. We love teaching every level of dancer.